By this time I have placed all of my track bed with the exception of the front staging area. I just want to be sure of my turn out positions before I glue anything down permanently. You can finally get a good idea of how everything is going to look in the end.
Monday, July 19, 2010
After a week, I finally completed my trestle. I built it using ¼” and 3/8” square doweling rod purchased from canadian tire. I first traced on a large sheet of paper the track curve, as well as the location of the tracks that would pass below. From this, I determined the measurements as well as the location of each pier. I built the deck of the trestle directly onto the drawing that I had made, using this as an exact guide for placing the pieces. This was, in my mind, the best way to keep everything accurate. The piers had to be on a sharp angle due to the two tracks passing below, so extra support had to be given to the trestle deck in some areas. I finished the piers with 1/16" cross supports, as well as a bed for the 18" radius track to sit on. Even thought this is not the most prototypical trestle, it still looks good on the layout and fits the track perfectly.